Let’s look at headlines from Microsoft last few weeks:
1) Microsoft cuts earnings on the weakness in the PC segment
2) Microsoft Curbs Spending on Travel, Gatherings in Bid to Reduce Costs
From here we can conclude:
1)The nature of their misses says that they have NO ability to forecast the future beyond a simple extrapolation of short-term trends.
They overhired at the peak of Covid lockdowns and they didn’t expect that the boom in PC sales would abate….
2) Now Microsoft Corp is asking teams across the company to rein in some employee expenses as the software giant tries to control costs in the current economic environment.
● Are they facing cash shortage? NO! They have $105B of cash on their BS
● Are they draining cash? No! They rake in $50B+ of Free Cash Flow a year (stunning, right?!)
● They overspent/overhired at the top and now they are cutting when everyone is!
BTW when Microsoft behaves in these pro-cyclical moves (i.e., hiring at the top and cutting employees when we enter a recession), how much do they help the economy? Given their enormous size, they just amplify the economic cycle globally…
Dear Mr. Microsoft, can I offer you predictive service to help improve your business forecasting function?